Summer in UK

Home The Cruising Life Photo Diary Travel Log Maps Diving

On Route
Back Onboard
New Plans
A Taste of Belize
Offshore to Chesapeake
Virginia Coast
Maryland Coast
Summer in UK

Follow the links for more about our travels

  Summer in UK

Click on picture to enlarge image. Click Back to return to text

Nick, Yvonne, Amy, Holly and Grandpa Geoff



That old guy gets in all the pictures!




Sally, Colin & Iza in Clumber Park




A Myles family feast


Our return flight to London had been booked out of Atlanta in Georgia, as when booked, we had no plans of selling Dream On, so she was booked to spend the summer in Brunswick, Georgia. As British Airways could not change the route, we had an 800 mile drive from Annapolis to Atlanta to catch our flight.

Arrived back in the UK on 11th August.

We had limited time in the UK this year, arriving later than usual in August and leaving earlier to travel on to Belize to collect the new boat. 

Iza had to continue with medical checks and physiotherapy for her right wrist and as usual there was a fair bit of property DIY, so we did not spend as much time with family as hoped. 

However, it was wonderful to catch up with family, grandchildren and friends. Time went far too quickly. 

As soon as we arrived at Gatwick, we drove to Horsham in Sussex, to see Geoff's oldest son, Simon and to meet his new family, Debs and her son Ben. Debs and 6 year old Ben have just moved from Paris. It was great to meet up with them and enjoy Debs fine cooking. Simon introduced us to the "Dongle" mobile internet. What a great gizmo. Thanks for the loan of your dongle, Simon. It was a life-saver. Stayed overnight then headed off to Haywards Heath to see grandchildren, Simon's 9 year old twins Lucy & Daniel and their mother Robin. Having not seen Robin for quite some time, it was wonderful to see how well she was after a recent operation and to catch up with her life again.

After a day with Robin, Lucy and Daniel, we drove to London to spend the evening with Iza's son Simon and an airbed night on the living room floor in his flat in Clapham. Simon was in the process of packing to leave the flat for an 11 month secondment with Barclays Capital to New York.

From London we drove to Bristol to drop off the boat PC we had hand carried back for repair and modification. Another hour's drive to Worth, near Wells in Somerset to spend time with Carol, (Geoff's sister)  and husband Bob. They live in a wonderful old cottage and smallholding, with two horses, (much enjoyed by Geoff's grandchildren when they visit), plus chickens, sheep, two dopey greyhounds and the best homegrown vegetables you will find anywhere.

After overnighting there we drove to our flat in Nottingham, routing via Towcester to catch up with old friends Penny & Richard.

Once in Nottingham and unpacked we contemplated the skeleton of the wall we had ripped out of our top floor back in February, which required some major re-thinking. So, once again we found ourselves living in a building site. This one unfortunately required all materials to be carried up two flights of stairs. We also had a badly abused student house that required major surgery.

These rebuilds kept us busy for three weeks as the student house had to be re-let or sold and we could not face returning to our own flat again next summer and having it all to do then.

Another couple of trips to London to meet up with Iza's sons Adam and Simon and a carvery lunch with Iza's sister Anna and husband Mark and the boys before they left UK..

Simon, off to New York for a period of 11 months. Adam, now a Captain in 2 Para in the Army, having made the transfer from the Royal Air Force off to his third tour in Afghanistan. Adam has had an exceptionally busy time recently making the transfer, new training courses, including another month, (this time with the army), in the jungles of Belize. Also a move a matter of days before flying to Afghanistan from RAF Officer's quarters in Uxbridge to his new Army base in Colchester.

Geoff's son Nick and family live in Scotland. So we decided to meet up half way in the Yorkshire Dales. Despite the rain and a few floods and Geoff's attempt to emulate Evel Knevil on a wet grassy slope at Barnard Castle, it was a great weekend. Geoff spent 11 years of his childhood in Yorkshire, so it was also something of a nostalgic trip for him. Nick, Yvonne, daughters 7 year old Amy and  Holly, who was 3 years old that weekend, are such an easy going happy family. It is always such a pleasure to spend time with them. We really enjoyed their company and the countryside.

We had also been invited to a family reunion, celebrating the 80th birthday of Geoff’s cousin Kathleen, on his mother’s side. This was a fascinating occasion, meeting up with family he hasn’t seen for upwards of 20-30 years. All the children he knew now have their own grown children and it was an interesting challenge to work out who belonged to whom. It was an enjoyable day hosted by Geoff's God-daughter Susie and family.

During our house rebuilding, Geoff developed a cartilage problem in his left knee and could not walk for a couple of days. By the time we left UK this was still giving trouble. 


Where did my bathroom go?




With Adam and Simon


  Back to Annapolis, Maryland

Click on picture to enlarge image. Click Back to return to text

Simon and Iza with Dream On

Flew back from London to Baltimore Washington on 16th September.

Dream On looked great, no apparent problems. Just required a good wash down.

Iza was signed off by her surgeon, with continued amateur physiotherapy provided by Geoff.

Meanwhile, Geoff’s cartilage problem refused to go away, hampering his activities.

Received a call from our broker a couple of days after we returned to Dream On to say he had a couple interested in the boat and would be around to view that day. Another rush to tidy up and have her spic and span. A few days later we were told they could be interested in making an offer.

Simon flew down from New York to Annapolis for a weekend. We had hoped to take Dream On out for a final sail, but she had been moved during our absence and her exit from the dock was blocked by other boats.

Spent a few enjoyable Happy Hours with Lynne & Ann, Richard & Elaine and Trevor & Norma during our final 10 days in Annapolis.

The real challenge was packing for the trip to Belize. The airline baggage allowance is one free bag each at 50lbs (23kgs). We ended up with 6 check in bags, all 50lbs or just over plus each of us had hand baggage of probably another 50lbs.

Included in our baggage was an outboard engine and in hand baggage, some serious electronics to enable us to equip the new boat for the trip from Guatemala to Florida.

We left Dream On in the capable hands of our broker, Todd Taylor and flew to Belize on 28th September. . 


back to top

Back in Belize












USA: 1-954 4785948        UK:  +44 7855388258         Skype: geoff.iza