Arrival in Bahamas

Home The Cruising Life Photo Diary Travel Log Maps Diving

Arrival in Bahamas
Central Exumas
Long Island
Nassau Revisited
Jumentos & Ragged Islands
Rum Cay
George Town
Long Island Revisited
Cat Island
Northern Exumas
Exuma Cays Park
Conception Island


Follow the links to read more about our travels

Photo Gallery

Arrival in Bahamas



Arrival in the Bahamas

Lighthouse at the entrance to Gun Cay




Lobster BBQ on the beach at Gun Cay




At anchor in Old Fort Bay, New Providence




Lyford Cay Marina




Nassau Harbour




On the look out for cruise ships

We made an overnight crossing from Marathon in the Florida Keys to Gun Cay, (pronounced KEY), on the western shore of the Great Bahamas Banks, leaving Marathon on 15th February 2005 at around 1400. We were in the company of two other boats, 'Thatís It' owned by Art & Joan Schuck and 'Chill' owned by Ken & Cathy Peters.

The three boats took slightly different routes across the Gulf Stream, but we stayed in contact through VHF and SSB radio links.

The journey took us north east and across the Gulf Stream, through which we could expect a northbound current of up to 2.5 knots and waves 30% higher than outside the Gulf Stream. The route also crossed the major shipping channels of the Florida Straits.

Total mileage for Dream On was 132 nautical miles and the trip took 26 hours. As the wind was mostly easterly, the trip was a mixture of motor sailing and motoring in to wind.

Our fishing lines were out for all of the trip, but we only managed to catch a Barracuda, which we were advised not to eat as they carry the ciguatera disease . We used this as bait for the lines. Arrived at Gun Cay at around 1600 on 16th February to anchor in a very pleasant area off the eastern shore in 20 feet of crystal clear water. On the way in to the anchorage, around the southern corner of the island we could clearly see Nurse Sharks below us.

On arrival in Gun Cay, we met up with Thatís It and Chill and also with three other boats from Marathon, Nikita with Steve, Tammy and Hannah, Christina Joy with Andrew and Emily and Melissa Sue with Larry.

Gun Cay has three great beaches and 16th February was a beautiful day there. We christened the kayaks here as we explored all the beaches. Then, thanks to the lobster catching skills of Steve from Nikita and Andrew from Christina Joy, and with a little help from the lobster catching novices from Dream On, we held a beach barbecue that evening for which we had 17 lobsters on offer.  

Two days later we left Thatís It at Gun Cay and sailed north about 10 miles to Bimini to join Chill, Nikita, Christina Joy and Melissa Sue. It is only wise to enter and leave Bimini close to high tide as the entry channel is very intricate. We were the last to arrive and all the other boats were in marinas but we decided to anchor. Big mistake! The channel was very narrow and we ran out of water. Having tried to sail on sand for a couple of hours and with some fairly lucky placing of anchors from the dinghy, the wind rose, created a few waves and we managed to wind Dream On back into water again using the anchor rodes. However, it was a very unpleasant anchorage and Bimini does not seem to have a great deal to offer. The following morning saw many very fast small fishing boats haring past us with no great concern for wake control. However, the biggest surprise was when we heard what sounded like a very powerful boat at very great speed coming our way. We rushed up into the cockpit and found ourselves a few feet from the port wingtip of a Pan Am Airways Grumman Mallard seaplane taking off in our channel!

We left Bimini on the tide that afternoon, 20th February, even though the wind was still active and headed north around North Rock to start the crossing of the Great Bahamas Banks. The sea off the west coast of Bimini drops to unregistered depths of well over 1500 feet. After we rounded North Rock onto the Banks, we did not see more than 25 feet in depth for the next 20 hours! Our plan was to anchor on the Banks if the wind and sea settled down, but this did not happen and we decided we would be more comfortable continuing than anchoring. We caught a bonito, which made good eating when we reached Chub Cay the following day.

The Banks that night were rough, very rough at times. Due to the shallow water, the waves are close together and choppy and we saw waves up to 8 feet at one point. We were only making 2.7 knots at times in such water. Despite this, we both managed to get some sleep. We saw a few other boats crossing in the opposite direction during the night and arrived at the (daylight only) exit from the Banks, the narrow and intricate North West Channel at midday having made contact again with Thatís It. They had made most of the journey across the Banks from Gun Cay the previous day and anchored overnight on the Banks.

Once through the North West passage, the depth dropped from 16 feet to over 2000 feet within a few yards. The fishing lines were out again as we were now in The Tongue of the Ocean, one of The Bahamas most productive fishing areas. There were many sport fishing boats in the area, so we took some time trolling over the drop off but with no luck. We then joined up with Thatís It and spent a very uncomfortable rolly night anchored off Chub Cay in the Berry Islands.

The following day, 22nd February, Thatís It and Dream On made the trip across the Tongue of the Ocean to New Providence Island where Nassau is located. However, having heard some horror stories of anchoring in the very busy and tidal Nassau Harbour, we decided to anchor in Old Fort Bay on the northwest corner of New Providence. This was a beautiful anchorage in 20 feet of water over white sand. A day later we were joined by Chill, Nikita, Christina Joy and Melissa Sue.

Although this was a great anchorage, there was no obvious landing point for dinghies. However, we were close to Lyford Cay, a VERY, VERY exclusive area of New Providence with gated communities for the mega rich, including the likes of Sean Connery. Lyford Cay has an equally VERY, VERY exclusive marina serving the yachts of the mega rich residents. We managed to sneak in by dinghy for some re-provisioning and make a $2.00 bus ride into Nassau for the day.

Nassau is not as high rise built up as we expected and although busy with a constant stream of cruise liners, still maintains some island charm. The people are great and the bus ride allowed us to see something of the island. The main landmark is the very famous Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, the other side of the harbour.

We joined Art & Joan from Thatís It and a number of other cruisers attending the weekly lunch on the Harbour front in Nassau organised by BASRA, The Bahamas Air Sea Rescue Association, a voluntary organisation that keeps an eye on cruisers and issues daily weather bulletins over SSB radio. During the lunch we met Mick & Sue, an English couple, (both ex-British Airways) from 'Breathless'. Mick & Sue had also bought their boat in the US, re-registered her in the UK and were on their maiden voyage, having started in Annapolis.

On 25th February, after picking up diesel and water in the VERY exclusive Lyford Cay Marina, we sailed along the north coast of New Providence, past Nassau and the Atlantis resort to Rose Island off the eastern side of New Providence. The trip was busy, with a few rocky areas to avoid, three warships of the Canadian Navy, a cruise liner that just had to be on a collision course for Dream On and para-gliders off the back of speed boats from Atlantis.

We came a little too close to the Canadian warships and were escorted a safe distance away by each shipís security patrol.

We explored Sandy Cay and Green Cay on the way in to Rose Island, again a very intricate area in shallow waters with many coral heads and rocky areas. Chill and Melissa Sue had also made the journey, but had routed through Nassau Harbour.

On 26th February, we set off with Chill and Melissa Sue across the Eastern Great Bahama Banks towards Allens Cay in the Exumas. The first part of the route required very careful visual navigation through a rocky area down the east side of New Providence Island and then a southerly loop to avoid the treacherous Yellow Banks before heading east to Allens Cay, a journey of around 30 miles. While over the Banks, we caught a Florida Pompano, a member of the Jack family. This was not very large but made very good eating. We arrived at Allens Cay at around 1500.

Back to top     Arrival in Bahamas Photos  




USA: 1-954 4785948        UK:  +44 7855388258         Skype: geoff.iza